• Come enjoy the great Lasagna Dinner tomorrow, Saturday, September 3, at the Johnson Valley Community Center. It includes sides of green salad and cheesy garlic bread, plus dessert cupcakes, for only 10.00 per person. The kid’s plate for ages 10 years and younger, is 5.00.
Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Dinner is at 6:00.
Everyone is welcome to stay for local news and announcements.
(Find out about the status of the Journal; decisions to be made.)
OKTOBERFEST DISCOUNT TICKETS!
• While you are at the JV Community Center, pick up your discount Early Bird Oktoberfest tickets!
The 10.00 Admission includes the traditional German Dinner Buffet.
Admission will be 12.00 per person after September 30, and at the door on the big day,
Saturday, October 15. Beer Garden opens at 3:00; dinner between 6:00 and 7:00.
Don’t miss out; quantities are limited!
You can also reserve your tickets online by secure credit card at www.johnsonvalley.com
FALL CALL: Keep Cool…Superbloom…Free ATV and Dirt Bike Training…Win-A-Jeep!
• Well, Fall has sure blown in on a hot blast. Take it easy if you plan to be outdoors this weekend. Stay calm and keep cool. Water, shade, and a little knowledge of first aid for heat exhaustion – been there, done that, as an overactive kid. NOT fun.
• Our unique superbloom is underway, a million little bouquets of tiny yellow flowers that show up after rainfall when nothing else does. More and more the higher you follow the trails up into the foothills, south of Johnson Valley anyway.
If you know what they are, please tell me.
• Cooler weather will come! Offroaders, you might be interested to hear that junior rider wannabes can get free ATV and dirt bike safety training at any State Vehicular Recreation Area, courtesy of the California State Parks, Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division.
The half-day training and practice cover safe riding techniques while learning starting and stopping, turning (both gradual and quick), negotiating hills, quick stops and swerving, and riding over obstacles.
The course also covers pre-ride inspections and recommended protective gear (DOT-approved helmets, gloves, elbow and knee guards, chest protector, over-ankle boots, goggles, long pants, long-sleeve shirts or jackets, etc.).
Environmental concerns and local laws are addressed.
Operators age 14-17 must each possess an ATV Safety Certificate or be supervised by an adult with an ATV Safety Certificate. (Children ages 13 and under must be directly supervised by a parent or guardian, or an adult authorized by the parent or guardian).
For more info, log on to https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24928
• And have you heard, the annual Win-A-Jeep Contest is on! California Four Wheel Drive Association gives the winner a fully-customized 2021 Jeep Gladiator JT, by Varozza Outfitters, with a multitude of accessories contributed by Cal4Wheel vendors.
Check this beauty out on https://cal4wheel.com/win
Second Prize is a set of tires from BF Goodrich; your choice up to 37” size.
Third Prize, a Cascadia Roof Top Tent.
You can see them all online and find out details on getting your tickets.
The drawing happens on February 18, 2023. You need not be present to win.
• Reminder, our Saturday Breakfast daylight saving time is now 7:30 a.m. -10:30 a.m. No change of menu, still with the never-empty coffee cup. All prices include sales tax. All tips are donations to help operate the Center.
Help wanted! Vacations and family events are shrinking our pool of volunteers for cooking and serving Saturday Breakfast. If you think you might be able to help out, just ask the cashier how it all works. And it would be nice to have some new folks on board!
FREE SWAMP COOLER
• “I have a window mount swamp cooler, that was used by a tenant of ours in Desert Hot Springs. I want to get rid of it as we have no use for it. It’s in J.V. and I can deliver it to a local. We will be up this weekend.”
Tom and Cherie Duncan (760)505-7223
FREQUENTLY ANSWERED QUESTIONS
• JVIA ADDRESS & DIRECTIONS
The mailing address is:
50567A Quailbush Rd.
Johnson Valley CA 92285
Directions to the Community Center:
From Hwy 247, turn onto Larrea Road, go 1-3/4 miles to Quailbush Rd.
The Community Center is on your left at the corner.
The Paul Van Hook Desert Dreams Garden is next to the parking lot, open to all.
No charge; just keep the dog on the leash and kids out of the train layouts – THANKS!
😳Simple Solutions, Nuclear Options