Yucca Valley, Ca.,- At the recent Hi-Desert Water District meeting, there was a proposal to the Board of Directors to consider constructing the collection system in-house in order to save money but would take five years. Contracting out to professionals would take two years to complete the sewer project.
In reviewing the in-house proposal I found it seriously flawed and question those “so called savings.” I sent an email prior to the meeting with my concerns but did not receive any reply.
At the HDWD meeting, it was announced there would be a need for more staff and re-calculations to include benefits would add another $1.8 million dollars to the in-house costs to be deducted from any “savings.”
Here are my questions…What are the 5 year costs for the following:
1. 19 Employees Health/Dental/Vision insurance
2. PERS contributions and any subsequent future PERS financial obligations by HDWD for 19 additional employees.
3. Increase of Workman’s Comp insurance for this High Hazard project.
4. Increase of HDWD General Liability insurance and to insure construction supplies/equipment against theft or vandalism.
5. Increase of vehicle insurance to include Staff vehicles
6. Costs of gear for crews: safety helmets/goggles/ear protection…to include boots, safety reflective vests and shirts
7. Total costs for communications devices to include cell phones and two-way radio.
8. Total costs for installing lockers/rest cots for crew members at HDWD maintenance facility.
9. Costs for upgrading facility to provide lunch area/refrigerator(s).
10. Increased inflation costs for equipment/parts/pipes.
11. Vehicle maintenance costs/tire replacement costs for 5 years to include trucks, back hoe, grader, excavator or any other equipment used.
12. Additional storage facilities to include increased security to prevent theft.
13. Why are there 5% annual salary increases for the new Staff and nothing factored for employees?
14. Do your “in-house” figures include the treatment plant?
15. Also, what data supports $3.85 per gallon as a fixed fuel price over 5 years?