Yucca Valley, Ca.-(Predication)- This evening at the Town Council meeting, four Council members, The Sky Harbor Four, will defend their decision to approve a 3-year contract for Town Manager Mark Nuaimi.
His current benefit package is $293,300.00 per year and will be increased to $300,840.00 at the end of three years allowing him more accrual of vacation days, paid time off and paying his 8% PERS towards his retirement which he gave up in Amendment #1.
The Town Council meeting begins at 6 pm tonight at the Yucca Valley Community Center, Agenda # 13.
I predict they will point out that Nuaimi is making less money than other managers, $40,000-$50,000 less than Andy Takata, and he should be compensated for the 400+ hours of overtime that he claims he spent performing his duties as Town Manager.
I predict these will be some of the ” talking points” you will hear this evening:
1. Nuaimi’s base salary would be frozen for three years at $190,000.00! (However his current benefit package =$293,340.00)
2. The increases in the new contract “would not add any long-term pension costs to the Town.”
3. Nuaimi volunteered to cut his benefits for the past two years and now he “deserves” to have them added back.
4. Nuaimi WAS paying all of his 8% PERS in the past. (Big deal! So are all the employees working for the Town resulting in a pay cut.)
5. The Town Manager still lives in Fontana and still needs his $600.00 a month car allowance.
6. He spent 18 months to promote a 1% sales tax for 30 years to go into the General Fund! ( Measure U failed)
7. Nuaimi worked so hard to promote Measure U, putting up Yes on U signs on Saturdays. (Was that part of his “overtime?”)
8. Even though the failed Measure U divided our community, the Sky Harbor 4 supported it with endorsements and cash donations.
9. Nuaimi earned high marks for developing and maintaining effective relationships with the community as per his review.
10. This Town manager brought in outside campaign money to support Measure U, candidates and give town employee bonuses.
11. It was necessary to spend over $199,000.00 from Town coffers to educate the voters on Measure U.
12. Nuaimi deserves to have his proposed 3-year contract for job security before we begin the tough budget cutbacks.
13. Yucca Valley’s population of 20,7000 with an average income of $35,000.00 is not a factor. Recession? What Recession?
14. Nuaimi’s total package in fiscal year 15/16 will only be $300,840.00! You have a problem with that?
15. The automatic “longevity bonuses” are replacing any automatic Cost of Living raises which were abused in the City of Bell.
-How many “overtime hours” did Nuaimi spend to work on his contract just before the budget workshop to make cuts?
-Why should there be a 3 year contract before reviewing the budget crisis he created by overspending these past 2 years?
-His old and new contract clearly states: as an exempt management employee, his salary is NOT based on hours worked and employee shall not be entitled to any compensation for overtime.
Nuaimi should not be compensated for his management style of appointing himself as the sole lead on projects because he has to be in total control to rack up “overtime hours.” This politician tried to cross-over to a management position without a good track record from Colton and certainly not in Yucca Valley.
He originally signed on as a salary position and chose to commute from Fontana. Exacting a 3 year contract from inexperienced Council members is a reflection of his concern for job security right before the severe budget cuts due to his irresponsible spending.
This is outrageous! If he doesn’t like this arrangement, he should seek employment elsewhere in the private sector.
Please pray for Yucca Valley.
Margo Sturges Author link