Yucca Valley, Ca.-OPINION- The Yucca Valley Chamber of Commerce has always been about helping our local businesses until recently when the President, Jennifer Collins, decided to enter into the political arena.
Fact: Collins proudly exclaimed “This is the first time the Yucca Valley Chamber has ever taken a stand on an issue.” Well, there is a good reason for that, going back to the basic role of any Chamber to promote their members businesses, not to promote a 1% Thirty Year General Fund Sales Tax, Measure U.
Fact: Collins declared she conducted an email survey of the Chamber and based on the approval of only 12% of the entire membership, chose to advocate for the Town tax forming a Political Action Committee. PAC Chair Collins donated $2,000.00 of her own money to the movement as an opportunity for self-promotion. Declaring to run for the Town Council seat on the March 5th ballot, she used this chance to launch her political career while spending Chamber funds to promote a bad tax for business. Chamber mailings were sent out to the members announcing endorsement of the Town tax to include a photocopy insert with the ballot wording and copy of the Hi-Desert Star editorial. All costs for the mailings were funded by chamber membership dues for this folly using Chamber staff time, letterhead, envelopes and postage.
Fact: Collins claimed she did her “due diligence” before endorsing this tax “by spending over 45 minutes asking the town manager some very tough questions” that were apparently answered to her satisfaction. As President of the Chamber, she should not have stepped into the tax debate, period.
Fact: The Republican Caucus and the Morongo Democratic Club came out against Measure U. The Morongo Basin Lincoln Club did not endorse Measure U nor did the Morongo Basin Economic Development Consortium when Collins approached them.
Fact: The voters defeated Measure U at the polls.
Yucca Valley Town Manager Taking Collins Under His Wing
The Town of Yucca Valley could not legally advocate for the tax, so manager Mark Nuaimi needed to secure a surrogate speaker to advocate his 1% town tax. He looked no farther than the Yucca Valley Chamber of Commerce President to be his mouthpiece. Following the game plan set forth by his friend, Tab Communications, he focused on Collins to prep her run for Council hoping to lock in another inexperienced council member to do his bidding on the dais. Game Plan pdf.>>>link
Jennifer Collins Track Record:
1. Nuaimi, aka “The Conflict King” and Collins worked together on an insurance matter concealing their relationship. Collins was cited in a letter for her “Undisclosed Conflict of Interest” in failing to properly represent her client:
“The factual information provided by you has been and continues to be inconsistent with that of other Farmers representatives who have no interest in the Town of Yucca or its politics. You failed to disclose your conflict of interest while actively attempting to secure your own political aspirations by providing inappropriate and personal information to the Town.”
2. Collins failed commercial real estate venture submitting her Trust Deed in lieu of Foreclosure
3. Collins used official Yucca Valley Chamber of Commerce letterhead in an attempt defame Opponents of Measure U and promote her name to residents of a mobile home park.
4. Collins supported the failed General Fund tax, Measure U, that would not lower sewer assessment levies greatly impacting the entire business corridor located in Phase One, a disservice to the business members of the Yucca Valley Chamber.
5. Collins rescinded my Chamber membership of 8 years as retaliation for my opposition to Measure U without proper notification or a proper hearing violating YV Chamber of Commerce membership bylaws. >>>link
6. Collins lives in Sky Harbor which is Phase Three of the sewer project which may never be required to connect.
7. Collins refers to her fellow citizens as “cock roaches” topping Nuaimi’s reference of his fellow residents as “Urban Idiots.” >>>link
8. Candidate Jennifer Collins Form 700, Statement of Economic Interests, Income, Loans, Properties, Spouse Income>>>link
I sincerely hope Jennifer Collins will reconsider going down this political path under the guidance of Town Manager Mark Nuaimi. She is woefully naive but a good wife and mother of two young children. Jennifer, please think about your family, marriage, insurance business and your fragile health at this time in your young life before entering the public political arena. Look to the three Councilmen that have recently stepped down to attend to their own families and careers.
Candidates may pull papers beginning on November 12, 2012 to fill one vacant Town Council seat in the Special Election called for March 5th.>>>link
Margo Sturges Author link